|Full Time Year Round|
Works closely with the Community Relations team to coordinate daily activities associated with communications including publications, public relations, social media and other related activities.
SKILLS/QUALIFICATIONS:• High school diploma or equivalent required.
• Bachelor’s degree in marketing, communications or related field required.
• 1-3 years of related experience preferred.
• Graphic design experience desired.
• Proficiency in MAC and PC required.
• Photography experience preferred but not required.
• Position requires courteous and professional interpersonal skills.
• Must possess the ability to research and communicate information effectively and accurately.
• Must demonstrate strong organizational skills and the ability to identify and solve problems and to plan, implement, and work on multiple projects at once required.
• Must possess strong skills in writing, editing and proofreading.
• Ability to identify cost-effective and conservation-minded strategies required.
• Ability to positively relate to the media required.
• Must maintain media lists and databases for the Columbus Zoo and its entities.
• Ability to travel to the Wilds as necessary.
• Ability to communicate well both verbally and in writing required.
• Ability to work a flexible schedule including evenings, weekends and holidays required.
• Ability to plan and organize work in an efficient and cost-effective manner and without direct supervision required.
• Ability to provide excellent guest service by positively interacting with guests and upholding the Make it G.R.E.A.T. standards required.
• Ability to develop and maintain cooperative working relationships with all Zoo team members and contacts regarding company business required.
• Ability to adhere to standard operating procedures including but not limited to safety protocols required.
• Proof of negative TB screening prior to placement and annually thereafter required.
• Possession of a valid Ohio motor vehicle operator’s license and a good driving record required.
• Ability to adhere to the Columbus Zoo and Aquarium’s drug-free workplace policy including but not limited to pre-employment, random, post-accident, reasonable suspicion and follow-up treatment required.
• Ability to successfully complete a criminal history background check annually required.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES:• Assists with the production of strategic communications.
• Provides content and updates to the web sites and mobile applications.
• Assists with media relations and various public relations projects.
• Increases and monitors social media presence on platforms such as Twitter, Facebook, YouTube, Pinterest and Instagram. Also provides analytics.
• Serves as a liaison with community groups, regional tourism and business partners.
• Interfaces with internal staff and external guests, vendors, media and donors.
• Manages and updates website listings.
• Responsible for production and distribution of electronic newsletters.
• Maintains media coverage archive and contact lists.
• Ensures budgetary guidelines are followed and all expenditures are approved and are in accordance with the department budget.
• Provides excellent customer service and performs general administrative and office duties as required.
• Functions as a strong team member with other members of the Community Engagement Division and the Wilds staff to assist with other activities as assigned.
• Constantly strives to further the mission of the organization and avidly supports the Columbus Zoo and Aquarium, Zoombezi Bay, Safari Golf Club and The Wilds.
• Implements sustainable practices in daily tasks whenever possible.
• Performs other duties as assigned.
Deadline to submit application is Monday, December 2, 2013. No phone calls or e-mails, please. Click the link below to apply!
As an Equal Opportunity Employer, the Columbus Zoo and Aquarium does not discriminate in hiring or terms and conditions of employment because of an individual's race, creed, color, gender, age, sexual orientation, disability or national origin. The Columbus Zoo and Aquarium only hires individuals authorized for employment in the United States.